Bad Liposuction Procedures Can Kill | Young Aussie Lady Dies After A Lipo

Death is one of the possible risks of cosmetic surgical procedures but most women (and men) who go under this kind of procedures never really believe that this could happen to them. It doesn’t happen very often and what doctors have told me is that it is very unlikely especially if the patient is healthy.

It is rare but it happens.

ABC Australia shares the sad story of a woman who died after a liposuction procedure contracted a rare gangrene infection from a surgical instrument.

Lauren Michelle Edgar, 28, died in hospital five days after having liposuction on her stomach and thighs.

She went to a clinic in Melbourne Street in North Adelaide in 2008.


The Doctors mistake

The inquest heard surgeon Dr George Kerry prescribed Ms Edgar strong painkillers when she contacted him after the surgery to say she was in significant pain.

In his findings, Deputy Coroner Anthony Schapel concluded Dr Kerry should have been more concerned about Ms Edgar’s welfare and arranged a follow-up appointment promptly after the surgery.

He said that could have led to an earlier hospital admission.

“I find that the information that she did give Dr Kerry about pain, her desire to remove the corset for that reason and her stated need for stronger analgesic medication should have generated significant concern in Dr Kerry’s mind about her welfare,” the Deputy Coroner said.

“I find that if Dr Kerry had examined Ms Edgar on the Friday afternoon, her condition at that point in time was such that Dr Kerry should have immediately referred Ms Edgar to hospital.”

Statement from parents Adrian and Leila Edgar on their daughter’s death

The inquest into our daughter’s death has been a long, drawn-out process but we are generally happy with the outcome. We had always believed that the bacterium had been introduced during the cosmetic procedure and we questioned the standard of post-operative care provided to Lauren.
We are consoled by the fact that, due to our daughter’s death, the Deputy Coroner has recommended significant changes particularly baseline requirements for the training, expertise and qualifications of cosmetic surgeons and the licensing and standards for private health facilities

Another Brazilian model also died this week after a bad liposuction procedure

What cause the death?

It was an infection contracted during the procedure what killed Lauren.

Mr Schapel found the organism that caused the rare and deadly infection was introduced during the procedure.

“The evidence suggested that gas gangrene in a very rare condition, but as seen earlier its association with liposuction has been recorded,” he said.

“The infection, once contracted, can have devastating and rapid consequences, thus in liposuction procedures the proper and effective sterilisation of instruments, of the patient’s skin and of the environment in which the procedure is to take place is essential.”

“If a clostridium infection is contracted early detection, diagnosis and treatment by a number of different treatment modalities is of paramount importance.”

He said the infection was probably from an instrument used during suturing and closing of the five incisions.

“The most likely explanation out of all competing explanations is that the micro-organism was picked up by an instrument from the skin surface of Ms Edgar,” he said.

This entry was posted in Cosmetic Surgery by Karina Guerra. Bookmark the permalink.

About Karina Guerra

Self-Confidence & Body Image Master Coach. Author, speaker, blogger and head editor of Sydney4women.com.au encourages women to find their real beauty and believe in themselves. Google

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>