Surviving dry winter skin – We all wish we could have the beautiful skin that celebrities show but during winter it is harder because the cold temperatures don’t let our skin glow.
Let’s understand why my skin gets dry during winter…
Dry skin is a very common skin condition which can worsen during the winter months. In Winter when the humidity
is low and most of our time is spent in indoor heating which further draws dries out our skin. Extra care
needs to be taken during this time as “Winter Itch” can occur in people with or without other skin conditions.
1. When you notice your skin is dry, this is the time to stay away from harsh soaps and swap to a cleansing
and moisturising routine which will hydrate even the driest skin.
Identifying dry skin is easy; symptoms such as visible fine lines in the skin, the skin feeling rough and
appearing dull and flakey could be indicators that the skin is lacking essential natural oils and moisture. Dry
skin is a result of not enough water in the stratum corneum (the outer most layer of the skin). Fortunately,
Cetaphil® has a range of products to hydrate dry skin, which make them perfect to use.
Corrin O’Brien Pharmacist, Galderma, said, “Our skin is one of the most remarkable organs in the body.
However, it requires proper care – especially in the winter months. Winter is the time of year when most
people experience dry, flaky, red or irritated skin. To hydrate and protect the skin from further damage a
mild cleanser and good moisturiser are essential. I swear by the Cetaphil Intensive Moisturising Cream it is
great for even the driest hands and feet.”
Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleanser is recommended by dermatologists for every day, gentle cleansing of even
the most sensitive skin. This gentle cleanser is pH balanced and free from fragrance, soap and lanolin and
because it is non-comedogenic it won’t clog your pores.
For dry to very dry skin, Cetaphil® DailyAdvance™ Ultra Hydrating Lotion with Epidermal Replenishing
Complex5 contains a unique combination of ingredients that hydrate and help replenish oils in the skin. Its
light, creamy lotion absorbs easily, leaving dry winter skin feeling soft, hydrated and smooth for up to 24
hours. Cetaphil® DailyAdvance™ Ultra Hydrating Lotion is fragrance-free and is also non-comedogenic.
Suitable for very dry hands, feet, elbows and knees, Cetaphil Intenstive Moisturising Cream is specially
formulated to soften and protect very dry, cracked skin. It contains shea butter, a natural ingredient from
the Karite tree of Africa known for its pleasant moisturising properties.
Top tips to avoid dry skin in the winter months
1. Avoid taking long hot baths. You might think that long hot baths on a cold night can hydrate your
skin, but it does the exact opposite. Long hot baths can strip your skin and removed the protective
oils that your skin naturally produces and when oils are lost, water also escapes leaving the skin
2. Avoid caffeine, smoking and alcohol as they act as diuretics and will contribute to the loss of
moisture in the skin.
3. Avoid hot soapy water for long period of time as soap depletes the skin from its natural oils to the
4. Pat don’t rub! After a bath or shower, gently pat the skin until it is partially dry with a towel
and within three minutes apply moisturiser to your skin to seal the water into the skin before it
5. Increase your water levels by drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day.
6. Protect your skin from the elements – sun, wind, cold air, heat, air conditioners. These elements
contribute to the loss of moisture so ensure you moisturise your skin before being exposed to any of
7. Use a moisturiser on your skin followed by sunscreen such as Cetaphil UVA/UVB SPF30+ broad
spectrum facial moisturiser.
Cetaphil® products are available from pharmacies nationally and Priceline stores. For further information
please phone 1800 800 765 in Australia and 0800 174 104 in New Zealand. View the Cetaphil range via
1. 2005. Department of Dermatology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City 52242.
looked like this
now or before?
loves to show off